This soup has been on my mind for quite some time. Since before striving for zero waste even! It may have been easier to make then, but it would have been far less delicious. This is the second meal I made with the ramen noodle batch. They freeze well and cook just fine after being frozen.
The caramelized onions on top made this meal feel extra special and nourishing, which is my preferred way to enjoy meals and start off a whole new year.
Of course, the thing that makes this soup lucky is the black eyed peas. It’s a southern tradition to enjoy these legumes for New Year’s. I am not southern, but I wanted a bit of tradition this year.
- Black eyed peas: soaked overnight and cooked
- Chickpeas: soaked overnight and cooked
- Homemade vegetable broth or bouillon
- Olive oil
- Spicy peppers
- Thinly sliced onion
- Yellow split peas
- A caramelized onion for topping
- Ramen noodles or egg noodle of choice
- Cilantro for garnish after cooking is finished
Heat up a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Add in the thinly sliced onion, cook a bit, then add in peppers and spices.